Monday, August 28, 2006

Night in Nago

First of all, let me say sorry for the crooked and scattered nature of the pictures posted in this entry. sometimes they just go funny on me... that's life. This last weekend I hopped a bus to Nago to visit my block #1 buddies. Nago is the "northern capital" of my island. The northern third of the island is very rural and beautiful. I live in the middle third, which is where most of the military presence is concentrated, and the south has the real capital, Naha, which is the biggest city. Though a car on the expressway could make the drive to Nago in half an hour, it takes 1.5 in the bus. No prob, I just looked out the window, cuz the 58 is a coastal highway and it's puuuurdy.

So I went to Juhi's house in Motobu (along with other new JETs Amy, Christina, and Paul, and old JETs New Zealand Ben, Brit Ben, Alina, and Dave) and ate a lot of scrumptious Indian food that Juhi prepared for us. Christina got a bit frustrated with the bread-balls that she was making. Hmmmm.


After that, we went to the famous aquarium. It's got the biggest tank in Asia, I think. We saw all sorts of awesome fish, including a dolphin show and whale sharks.











Here are some more pics:
You still can't tell how ginormous the tank was from this picture, but you at least get the idea of it being big.

These are some cute and friendly (?) jelly fish. They were my favorites.

Swarms of little fishies! I hope they weren't someones supper later.

These critters were really big... there's nothing in the photo to which you can compare it's size to, but they probably could have swallowed your baby whole.

Yay, fish!








Then we hung out on the beach and watched the sunset. If you are wondering how the sunset can be blue in one foto and red in the next, it's because I was experimenting with the different picture-taking settings on my camera.





After that we went to this little festival in Motobu and saw some rockin' Japanese high school bands play while chowing down on fried octopus balls (yummy!)

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Awesome pictures! Looks like a good time :)

I am going to the block party. Is that this weekend? Is it September already? I will work on getting us a ride, which I think is doable. If not, then the bus it is! And maybe some Naha exploration?

I guess I could send you C-mail instead of these internet messages. PHONES!

Mei-ting said...

i want to see giant squid thingies and then eat their fried friends! maybe i can find a way to do that here. hmmm... oh by the way, i'm not actually teaching in shanghai. i'm in that other city that no one knows about whose name is impossible to pronounce (but i'm sure you will be able to).