Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Today's Fun Japanese Facts

You know those freezer box-stations in convenience stores where you can pick out your soda? In Japan, these come cold and HOT in the same machine. They're really into canned/bottled coffee here (lattes, cappuccino, something called "depresso"… don't even ask) so I reached into one of these things, and was freaked out to find that one shelf was heating its beverages, while the one directly above it was cooling its beverages. Man, they're so much more advanced here.

You're not cool in Japan unless you have a "dangly" on your cellphone. Everyone has them. It's like a thread-lock for your phone (you don't know what a thread-lock is? Ask the eighties). BTW, all cellphones have internet access here. So you get an email address with your phone. In Tokyo, they have satellite access, and you can point your cellphone at any building and it will tell you what it is, give you a map, whatever. They think we're still in the stone age. Kids here don't even know what text messaging is, it was their parents' generation.

It takes an ice-cold beer exactly 4 minutes to go from icy-freshness to room temperature in my apartment.

Doesn't the Japanese prime minister have weird hair? I just want to get a confirmation from someone on this.

6 comments:

Claire in Tuba-Town said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
jonvon said...

I don't know if it's the prime minister because i can't understand a word of what is being spoken on the program, but I saw this wierd looking dude (I use this term intentionally) with crazy long, grey hair in a business suit who must be some kind of government official because of the context of the situation. If this is who you mean by the prime minister with funky hair, I concurr.

Rachel said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Rachel said...

Hey there! I emailed you about tomorrow... a bit confused about where that bus station is. It would be sooo much easier if we could just meet at that au shop on 23. I could walk and Bridgit knows where it is because that`s where we always meet up.

Also, did you talk to that American guy at the phone place? He puts our contract under the store for the first month and then when we have our permanent card, he transfers it into our name. Plus, free phones!

Email me at rdorsey@ezweb.ne.jp and let me know if that meeting spot will work...

Mei-ting said...

joyce... what is your ichat screenname? i'm in shanghai. just got here. and i have a webcam! talk to you soon! love, cheryl

jonvon said...

There's no way I'm getting one of those dangley things, but I definately have gps on my phone.