Saturday, August 04, 2007

The Last Goodbyes...


Last night was my farewell party/my successor's welcome party with Ginowan High School. It was sad but fun. I think I cried about 5 times, mostly every time someone gave me a farewell gift or asked me to make a speech. Above is a foto of me and the young gang remaining after all others had headed home.

Despite not speaking any Japanese , Ann (my successor) got on quite well with everyone. You can see her in the photo to the left. The dude in front had tried to convince her that he was a samurai and is reaching for a spoon to attack her with. For some reason (we'll blame it on the liquor) Matto-sensei has stuck some chopsticks in his nose. Cute-o!

The saddest part was saying farewell to Shouko, who has been my best Japanese friend here in Okinawa. Junko -sensei has probably been my closest and most constant companion, but Shouko is more a friend who is my age. We used to all three have our desks in a row: Shouko, Junko, Joyce, before me and Junko moved up to the LL. There we are to the right, I am wearing Jun's glasses in their suggested librarian pose. Shouko gave me bingata that she had made herself, and we had a long, tearful, and slightly intoxicated goodbye. I'll miss you, Ginowan High School senseis!

No comments: