Wednesday, March 28, 2007

my sister Sandi

Sorry I disappeared again. My sister Sandi is here visiting me! She rolled off the plane a sickly mess of snotty tissues and germs. But like the trooper she is, this didn't stop her. The next morning we packed our bag and drove up to the far northern reaches of my island (ok, its like a 2 hour drive, not really that far) for a few days of exploring.

The first thing we did in Kunigami was hike to Hiji Falls. This is the biggest waterfall on Okinawa island. Its about a 40 minute hike. You may run across the occasional large puddle that calls for graceful jumpage.

Below is a photo of us (we are far right, shrouded in mystery and shadow) in front of Hiji Falls. If you aren't in shape (me) the hike will really make your calves hurt the next day. Beware the many many stairs of wood (some with rotten parts falling out of the middle, loose boards, or big holes where some poor soul who had gone before clearly twisted their ankle).

We also drove to Hedo Point, the furthest northern point of Okinawa island. Its a bunch of cliffs and jagged rocks that reminded me of Inismore in Ireland. But not as cold. The monument to Reversion is also found here. Reversion is when the USA gave Okinawa back to Japan in 1972 after having occupied the island since the end of WWII. Photo below.


After a full day of adventuring, we went out to the only izakaya in the teeny weeny town in which we had booked a hotel, and ate and drank of the local foods and beverages. Below is Sandi freaking at the idea of me eating a fried fish head. The next day, we went to see bashoufu (traditional banana fiber weaving) and to the Pineapple Park in Nago. Maybe Ill put up photos of those later.

Here is a picture back down south of Sandi with the shisa that guards my school. She wasn't entirely impressed by my school. Her main complaint was that it was filthy. You know Sandi and dirt. They don't jive.

She only came to school with me one day though. I think the usual routine will be for me to drop her off at the beach on the way to school (we did this today) and pick her up again at the end. Below, me and Sandi at the beach right next to my house where she shall spend her days (its only a 10 minute walk from home!)

That's a quick update for now, hopefully Ill be putting more photos and stories of her 2-week trip up as it goes along. But my stupid neighbors finally figured out how to password protect their wireless internet, and my computer at school finally kicked the bucket, so posting options are slim.

No comments: