Monday, December 04, 2006

Monkey stones

Sometimes I think about how weird Japan is. Mostly I just go with the flow, but occasionally something happens that reminds me that I have no idea where people here are coming from. No idea at all. Let me give you a good example:
My friend Amy recently received a gift from one of her Japanese acquaintances. It wasn't her birthday, no. It wasn't a holiday, no no. This was simply a gesture of friendship. Said gift was one hundred stones, on which said friend had painted one hundred monkey faces. Each monkey face is different, and the painting of the stones took an entire week.

Now Amy has a pile of 100 monkey stones on her porch in Nago. Amy doesn't know what to do with them. If you would like to borrow a monkey stone, please contact Amy (I have three, and I quite fancy them).

6 comments:

a.shoe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joyce Chapman, Consultant for Communications & Data Analysis said...

cant you see my monkey stone picture? its right there on MY blog. that is odd.

Katie said...

Joyce. I found your blog through Claire. And I fricking love love love it. Like carrots and rubber bands. Can I add you to my list o' links? I think people who read my blog would also appreciate yours.

Joyce Chapman, Consultant for Communications & Data Analysis said...

why yes, feel free to link on up with my blog. i also love carrots! which one is your blog on claires list?

Claire in Tuba-Town said...

Hey Joycie!
Yup, I'm still in the Steinlachallee. Do I have your address? Is it at the end of your e-mails? If not, you'd better get it to me pronto for the same reason. Katie's Blog is "Through the Looking Glass" and she's with Word Press, which is why you can't find her. I love that my friends are finding each other.

chizzy pink said...

Oh joyce, u forgot to tell about the mochi that is wrapped in a leaf, apparently last friday was the day that you eat mochi made in a leaf (this was discovered at school lunch as I ate mochi from a leaf with my grade one students eagerly watching). It is for good luck and you are supposed to consume as many as your age.. so I am to eat 30... OMG