Tuesday, January 16, 2007

End of the Year Party

The absolute biggest occasion of the year for teachers in Japan is the End of the Year Party, occurring in late December just before the break between second and third semester begins. Community is important in Japan, as you know, and the work place is one of the most important in-groups to which people must conform. Therefore, you would have to be dead or dying to not show up at the End of the Year Party. And you would have to be very clever indeed to escape the social pressure to get utterly trashed and make a fool of yourself while at the party. Ginowan High is no exception to the rules. I had the good fortune of a good excuse for not drinking myself silly: a plane trip to Vietnam the next day. And from a sober perspective, the party was all the more entertaining. Above you see us all looking very stately (who knew what was in store?!) And below you can see bits of the glorious feast that was laid out for our dinner.
I had been asked earlier in the year if I was interested in participating in the dance performance at this party, but I had envisioned something like folk dance, or ball room dance, or I don't know what... so I had graciously turned them down. What a surprise it was, then, when several teachers disappeared in their suits and ties and returned to loud blaring pop music wearing these outfits:



WOAH! Super Mario, the Terminator, a drag queen, 3 santas, and... a man in pink plastic with socks stuffed in his drawers. I immediately regretted my decision not to be involved.Who knows what they would have dressed me as?

Now, actually I got ahead of myself. The Terminator was the first performance that was truly bizarre. The curtain rolled aside, and a large cardboard box began to inch itself across the stage. I furrowed my brow and risked a quick glance from side to side at my fellow viewers. Everyone was sipping away on wine, perfectly at ease in their official suits and fancy dresses as the creepy notes of the Terminator theme song began. And the Japanese version of Arnold Schwarzenegger (by this I mean that he is wearing fluorescent pink panties... Japanese people can't have any kind of festival without putting the men in drag) emerges. It's actually quite funny that this particular teacher performed this piece, because he is the Discipline Teacher. That's right, we have a teacher whose only job is to discipline bad kids. He shakes them in the teachers' room, yells at them in the courtyard, walks the corridors menacingly during class and enters any and everyone's room in order to bop a sleeping student upside the head, shoot dagger-eyes at paper-airplane throwers, or generally speaking scare the bejesus out of Wrong Doers. I myself was quite frightened of him before the party. Now I just have to call up the image of the fluorescent pink panties.

Here, you see a member of yet another dance performance. This is a kendo (sword fighting)/PE teacher dressed as one of Ginowan High's female students. Those white bunchy socks he's wearing went out of style on mainland Japan like 5 years ago, but unfortunately still seem to be in full-swing at my school.

After the performances, everyone started bustling around in a serious manner. I thought it might be time to go, but I was wrong... it was time for BINGO!!!!!

Wow, yeah. Apparently Japanese people, unlike Americans, love bingo (and Disneyland) at all ages. So a very competitive and rowdy game of drunken bingo followed. I won a calculator. I came in like 20th, but I blame this on the fact that I couldn't process the numbers being called out in Japanese fast enough to punch my holes.

After that, it was time to move on to the Second Party. The second and third or fourth parties are important concepts in Japanese, because many teacher or company official parties are followed up by another, and another, and another party... the crowd thinning out to hardcore drinkers as the night and locale progress. The Second Party was Karaoke. There are some very funny pictures of karaoke but I don't have them yet... check back to this article at the end of the week to see if I've gotten them!

2 comments:

Snellius said...

Hello Joyce,

First of all a happy new year to you! Second, thanks for sharing all these wonderful stories and pictures. I thoroughly enjoy going through them each time so I hope you will continue putting them on the web.

The things you experience keep amazing me. The Japanese behaviour appears dualistic to me; which begs for the question whether it only appears dualistic because the society in which I live (i.e. Dutch society) is dualistic in itself as well. Must be.... Food for thoughts...

Although Japanese are said to be strict in regulating social behavior, at the same time I'm envious seeing at frequent intervals these ways of selfexpression we would not even dream about in our corporate lives.

Anyway, I'll keep on visiting your blog so see you around next time.

Snellius

P.s. please share with me the brand and type of your photocamera - quality of the pictures is really great...

Joyce Chapman, Consultant for Communications & Data Analysis said...

Hello Snellius, I have a canon powershot A620. though sometimes i edit photos in photoshop, mostly i use iPhoto. i think it's precisely because their society is so strict in regulating social behavior that an outlet has to be provided where anything goes... this outlet is drinking. as far as social convention goes, just about anything you do while drinking is forgivable and forgettable. its practically a rule. happy new year to you too! gimme your email if you want an invite to the online vietnam photo album (160 fotos or so)