Sunday, January 28, 2007

Okinawa cherry blossoms

Everyone has heard of Japanese cherry blossoms, and the famous Viewing thereof. What people don't know is that the very first cherry blossoms of Japan bloom in Okinawa, in January: several months before the blossoms on the southernmost tips of the mainland even consider opening their buds to the sun. The cherry trees in Okinawa are not the same species as on mainland Japan. Their blossoms are small and bright pink. They bloom very briefly, before they fall. Though I missed my chance to go north and see the festival, luck was with me yesterday. In my day's wanderings (to be read about in the next entry) I stumbled upon a lone cherry tree. I dashed over and took a few minutes time with the tree. Here are a few photos I snapped.

2 comments:

a.shoe said...

i like the second to last one best. nice depth, and the flowers are framed beautifully. mata...

Joyce Chapman, Consultant for Communications & Data Analysis said...

well, ill just put it first for you then!