Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Mori no kawa

Last weekend I went in search of some lovely gardens I had heard tell of. These gardens were sadly not to be found. But! The mori no kawa spring did make a surprise appearance. It turns out to be my neighbor, in fact.

There you see it to your left, the "forest spring". I don't know any history about this place (as usual, since I can't read the signs) but it was a beautiful and serene spot, not so far off the highway. Best of all, if you walked out behind the spring you found a field, and at the edge of the field was...

...THE SECRET GARDEN!
That was the first thought that entered my mind when I saw it, anyhow. To the left here you can see an entrance across the crumbling wall into the secret garden, isn't it mystical? Don't I sound like my mother?





The mystery ended, however, once I realized how many mosquitoes were feasting on my tender flesh. Below is a lone papaya tree that I passed while making my get-away, standing tall amongst the plethora of pink flowers lining the garden wall.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I grew up not far from Mori no kawa (it was a bit more ramshackle in the 80s, and has been fixed up since). It's supposedly the site where long ago a man saw a woman bathing in the spring and stole her robe; she turned out to be a maiden from the heavens. They later got married and she bore the son of one of the great kings of central Okinawa. (I'm probably getting crucial details wrong, but it's something along those lines.) Thanks for your pics on this site - though I've long since moved away from Okinawa, I enjoy seeing photos from the island.