Wednesday, May 30, 2007

The Sack Slap!

One of the great mysteries of the Western World is and always will be Japanese game shows. Let's face it, though you may think they're weird, these shows rack up mad points with creativity. If you don't already know what I'm talking about then you need to do some google searches to find out what you're missing. This week I have encountered a game show so outrageous that it was share or bust. Please view this video clip to see what happens to losers in Japan, and what true humiliation in front of millions of viewers is all about.

I`m going to explain what`s going on, since it`s in Japanese. There is a row of male contestants. Each of them has to attempt to say the same tongue twister. If they succeed, they`re home free. If they fail, a metal thing flies up and punches them in the balls! As you can see, by the time the last guy's turn comes around and 3 before him have taken the punch, he is so terrified that he is running back and forth trying to talk his way out of participating in the show... to no avail. Everyone in the audience just laughs hysterically while these fellows writhe on the floor in pain. Is there something wrong with this idea?

2 comments:

Snellius said...

Hi Joyce,

Allow me to share my all-time favourite Japanese game show episode, starring one of the Dutch K1 fighters as well... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcofZqccSQA

It gives me stomach ache from laughing each time I see it.

I'm almost thinking I recognize one of the guys as being the second of the ball-slap row? What do you think?

Marcel

Joyce Chapman, Consultant for Communications & Data Analysis said...

oh wow, that one is funny. maybe i'll post it, too!