Saturday, May 12, 2007

Shinki the Majestic

Iriomote is an island almost as big as Okinawa mainland, but with a population of only 2,000 (there's like a million people on my island). Most of the island is covered in dense jungle. You may think, therefore, that there would be little with which to amuse oneself. Oh contraire! For example: two hours after arriving on the island I found myself face to face with Shinki the Majestic (above). Isn't he glorious? You can travel from Iriomote to very close, smaller islands by water buffalo drawn cart, of all things.

This is what it looks like. The trip can only be made during low-tide, when the sands are exposed. Otherwise, I suppose one could simply swim, as it isn't very far (but there isn't actually anything on Yubu island so I don't know why you would). The only reason you would go is to ride in the buffalo cart, or...
...to watch the water buffalo wallowing in their pools. Here is Shinki on his lunch break.

Pleasant as it was to travel by water buffalo drawn cart, I couldn't help but yearn for Shinki's freedom. What an unhappy life it must be to pull overdressed, uppity naicha (Japanese mainlander) tourists around day in and day out. Plus, he had to wear a rope through his nose which looked like it itched. On the ride back the driver gave a little Japanese child a stick with which to prod our majestic steed. The little snot promptly began wacking Shinki incessantly and laughing as if the whole ordeal were great fun. Every once in a while his stupid grandma would lean over with a greedy lick of the lips, take the stick from his hands and show him how to put a bit of elbow grease into animal abuse.

Throw off your yoke, Shinki! I longed to cry, as I watched Snottball wipe his dirty hands off without a second thought on his old grandma's nice slacks and take up his wacking stick again. Give this sadistic brat a good goring in balls! Escape your life of servitude! For a fleeting moment I considered slitting his nose rope with my pocket knife so he could make a run for the Urauchi river (after creating a distraction by goring Snottball). Alas, courage was not with me that day. Next time Shinki, next time!

No comments: