Wednesday, May 30, 2007

my orchid and my life

This is my orchid plant. Isn't she purdy? It is the only flower I have ever been able to keep alive. She was a gift on my half-birthday (April 29) which means she just made it to the one month finish line! You can see here in the photo that I am giving her a pat on the back. I give me one too.

News from the real world (for people who know me): my year in Okinawa has flown by and is now winding down. I fly home on August 5th, and begin my Masters program at UNC August 21. I'll be taking all sorts of fascinating classes with cryptic names like, "Information Tools". After shuffling back and forth on the subject for a few months, I've decided not to work my first semester. Don't wanna stress myself out more than grad school will already do. So I'll probably be living at my dad's house (yeah, y'all know where to find me!) first semester to save $$. Oh right, and cuz pops is cool n all that;-)

The only other big piece of news in my life I can think of to share with you is actually quite horrific... I am attempting to quit drinking COFFEE. Beautiful, delectable coffee. Oh I know, it's painful to even see written. So far I can't tell whether I'm actually attempting to quit drinking coffee altogether, or just cutting back severely. Those of you who know me well realize that coffee is one of my great life joys. Morning coffee especially is my favorite part of the day, it might even be the reason I get out of bed. Anyway, in the last few weeks I realized that I am a sad little addict who can barely function without 2 cups of the stuff before leaving the house, not to mention many more cups through out the day. I wasn't always this way! I fondly remember a time when I was a 1-cup girl. But you know what they say about addictive things like drugs, chips, and sex: einmal gepoppt, niemals gestoppt! Plagued by headaches when coffee wasn't to be had, filled with fatigue if a few hours passed without recharging the caffeine... I knew that the TIME HAD COME. Wish me luck. I've been doing 1-cup a day for like 5 days now, and I even tried drinking tea yesterday morning (which was weird and unsatisfying.) GANBAROU!

5 comments:

Mei-ting said...

i like your orchid. it's pretty. is coffee good in japan? i can only get the instant variety, which doesn't really make me crave it. good luck! you're good at things like this, though. like all those times you quite smoking. i tried that too and failed on my first day.

jean/Mum said...

It is truly a beautiful orchid...and I am mightily impressed by your resolve vis-a-vis the cafe! One cuppa...that's fine...your Mimi used to drink several POTS a day! I love you, and love your new photo! Of course, since I'm your,
Mum:)

Amy said...

You should get a cactus. Those things are hard to kill.

Joyce Chapman, Consultant for Communications & Data Analysis said...

yes amy! ive had 2 cacti that i kept alive and as far as i know they are both still living. the first one was named Tres (3) and I gave it into the caring hands of my pre-Germany bf, Arturo when I moved to Germany. He once told me Tres was doing well, but I never saw him again, even tho it had been meant as a temporary loan:-( The other cactus I bought to replace Tres when I arrived in Germany. Her name was something really spectacular but I cant remember it. I left it with Burki when I moved back to America after 1.5 years. Still thriving, as far as I know. Maybe Ill buy another when I get home.

Claire in Tuba-Town said...

I can keep just about any plant alive, except a cactus. Go figure.