Thursday, February 15, 2007

なべ the '93 Toyota Starlet

You may or may not know that the Chapman Women have a long tradition of naming our automobiles. Sandi`s poor Charlie (who had a troubled history of drugs and tinted windows) moved on to a new foster family several years back; I laid the faithful Petunia to rest, just before coming to Japan; Ruby Pearl (whose delicious, glossy paint we shall never forget) set out with a new job as a community organizer last year, headed south to work with FLOC (the Farm Labor Organizing Committee). In her place, mom welcomed Juanita (a bio-diesel who is more into character than flash) into the family. And I? I now drive a 1993 Toyota Starlet. Starlets were never marketed in American (go ahead, someone correct me, I know nothing of cars). Here she is:

I know what you're thinking... geez, Joyce is really into the Toyota type. She likes those small little Japanese cars: responsible, reliable, strong in emotional crisis... it's not like that! Pure coincidence, friends.

I blush to say that it has taken me 6 months to decide on a name for the lovely Starlet. But decided it is!

なべ。 Nabe.

If you aren't living in Okinawa, you are probably not guffawing at that name. Ha. It shall remain a mystery to you. Or maybe I'll have more energy to write more about it later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

it IS a mystery indeed. Nabe. a pot. often clay. or a soup with lots of vegetables in it. shiitake are best. what about that car? explain yourself, girl!