Thursday, February 22, 2007

my Dragon Boat Racing team

ROAR! I may have mentioned to a few of you that I joined a Dragon Boat Racing team several months ago. Japanese Dragon Boat racing is called Harii... or any spelling variation thereof. Its from the Chinese word for `dragon`, so Im told. My team likes to transcribe it Harlee, because our leader drives a Harley motorcycle and he thinks it makes us sound like we`ve got more power between our legs. Eh. Either way our girls team is still called the Pink Pandas so I`m counting on that name counterbalancing any power the harlee punch was packing.

I joined this team one week before they ended seasonal practice and took a 4-month break for winter. I went to some practices but not many people were there, nor did they really involve boats (rather, a large fellow in spandex smiling and shouting for me and Jon to keep up with the ten billion sets of squats we had been roped into, having thought we were just going to `observe`. And then they made Jon roll metal weights up and down his shins and he must have scars to prove it). Meaning that I actually had only met a handful of people on the team, 5 months ago. So this past Saturday I was invited to the team New Years party, despite not really feeling a part of the team or knowing anyone. You're thinking that its a little late for New Years festivities... ah, but you are wrong. We were celebrating the Chinese New Year. Above and to the left you can see what Dragon Boat Racing (which begins in May) looks like.

I almost didn't go to this party, because truth be told I have been doubting the decision to join the Dragon Boat Racing team ever since I made it. In order to protect myself from sounding lame, let me explain the circumstances under which I joined the Pink Panda team. This explanation shall be interspersed with some party photos, to liven it up.

Here you see what I have dubbed the Funnel Of Death. There was a massive earthenware jug full of awamori (which is about 40% alcohol, I think) at our party. The bamboo dipper you see in the photo above was supposed to be used to dip awamori from the jug through a funnel into smaller clay teapots from which people would poor their poison. Around midnight, it began to be used thus instead: to drown poor Shi in alcohol. I hope he was ok the next day. I doubt it.

One night in October I found myself with some friends at Hinotama Hall (our favorite Japanese club). There was dancing, there was merriment, there was beer and loud loud music and that DJ who always makes shirtless appearances after 1am. Due to limited seating, we joined a group of Japanese people at their table. Lo and behold, these friendly folk turned out to be dragon boat racers. As we all swayed to the music in a drunken stupor and shouted to each other in mutually unintelligible languages over the din of blaring music, there came a moment where we felt The Bond of Friendship form. Our hearts beat as one heart! Our glasses clinked against each other to the same unearthly beat! (or was that just the bass?) Im sure you all know the Bond of Friendship from your own experiences being drunk with strangers. Anyway.
JOIN OUR TEAM OUR DRAGON BOAT RACING TEAM!!!!!! They cried to me.
YEEEEEEES! MOCHIRON, OF COURSE! I cried back. Bliss.
It seemed a spectacular idea at the time. Rowing! Something I've never done. Something I have never been (nor am I now) interested in doing. Exercise. Hm, I don't do that. Arms. No, I don't do those either.Japanese men are fine being touchy-feely if they are drunk. Don't you wish Americans were like this? (I know... CFS boys are!!!!! RepreSENT!)

The kimono-wearing girl was given one beer too many.
Well, not being in a high state of genkidom the weekend that this party rolled around (5 months after the Bond of Friendship had worn off), I still managed to drag myself out of the house to the party. I was half planning on telling them I'd given up and they could count me off their team... I'd be no good anyway, only drag them down and whatnot. But just about as soon as the alcohol started flowing, the team chief sat down next to me and began to talk about how wonderful it was that I had joined the team. Because international cooperation is key, and Okinawa really cares about cooperation between Americans and the islanders. They had been distressed for a long time because their men's team was international (having 2 Americans) but their ladies' team had been lagging. For months they have been anguishing: will Joyce actually join us in the Spring (or will she be a lame American, say she will do something and bow out when training starts?) But here I am, and they are filled with joy at my coming. Beam Beam Beam.

Oh. Yeah. Yeah!!!! Of course, I once again ended up enthusiastically agreeing to be on the team. But seriously, the people are great fun, and I think it'll be awesome. Practice starts March 4th. Wish me luck, I'm definitely going to need it.
But getting to wear the funny outfits they wear when racing is going to make up for everything. Plus, the simple fact that I can tell people I'm "on a dragon boat racing team". Deshou?

3 comments:

Bleistifterin said...

Sugoi yo! I always wanted to be in a taiko-band. Never made it. Go for it girl! show'em! and us - if practice started Feb 4th, you should have something to tell by now?

jean/Mum said...

GO JOYCE! Never mind my query about: "now what's a dragon boat race", after looking at all the photos. You've done it again...dived headfirst into culture and made me laugh so hard I can't sit up straight! I'm cheering for you! Mum

Joyce Chapman, Consultant for Communications & Data Analysis said...

oh, sorry. i meant to say march 4th, not february asta. asta, whats up with your blog? why doesn't it work?